Arizona Football Officials Association Hall of Fame

Bryce Seaman - Class of 2012

Bryce started officiating football in 1963 taking the path of teachers he saw officiating while he played in high school. He attended classes put on by AIA Commissioner Johnny Riggs which took place for 2.5 hours twice a week with an additional 30 minutes for new officials. New officials had to meet with the commissioner individually before the season in order for officials to get assignments. His first game was a JV game at West High against North High. He began working Varsity games after 1 year and made a trip to Wickenburg. His second game took him to Yuma for another exciting game making $7.50 for the game and 2 cents a mile rider mileage. The crew decided to stop and have a steak dinner on the way back so he ended up losing $5 on the trip. He was certified after 3 seasons. Bryce worked many playoffs games including Semi-Finals in all divisions. In a Quarter-Final game between Thunderbird and Saint Mary’s his umpire was Ed Hochuli. His most memorable game was as a linesman for a Semi-Final at ASU pitting Marcos de Niza coached by Ron Cosner and Jesse Parker for Camelback, with Referee Earl Yost and Line Judge Matt Gilcrist. In 1996 he was named the Arizona Outstanding Football Official by the NFHS. Bryce took up Soccer when it was first sanctioned as an AIA sport in 1980 and worked the first state championship game. He went on to work 15 State Championship games throughout his years on the pitch with his last taking place in 1997. In 1984 he was recognized as the most outstanding Soccer Official in Arizona. He was named to the national soccer rules committee in 1991 for the NFHS and was a national certified rules clinician. He was named AIA Soccer Rules Interpreter in 1992 serving until 2010 and retiring from Soccer in December 2011. Bryce was a charter member of the CAFOA board (predecessor to the AzFOA) and served in numerous capacities during his 13 years on the board serving the last 9 years as Secretary. He was an advocate for moving to 5 officials long before the AIA agreed to do so years later. In 1988 he became a State Director of the NFOA joining the National Board of Directors in 1998 receiving the National Distinguished Service Award in 1996. In 2002 Bryce became President for 1 day before the board was dissolved by the NFHS, making him the last President after Fritz Goreham was the first. Bryce continues to officiate football and was on the field for his 50th season in 2012.